Treatment of Gum Disease with Periowave
Gum Disease, also called Periodontitis, is a common condition that affects one in three adults It often results in bleeding, swollen gums, bad breath, and the deterioration of soft tissue and bone which support the teeth.
Gum diseases are also associated with a host of other serious health conditions including heart disease, stroke, premature births and diabetes. If you have red, swollen, bleeding gums, persistent bad breath or tooth sensitivity - you may have some form of gum disease.
Without treatment, gum diseases can cause oral discomfort, localized oral infections, deterioration of tooth support structures, and eventual tooth loss as well as serious secondary infections.
Ask yourself the following questions:
- Do you ever have pain in your mouth?
- Do your gums ever bleed when you brush or floss your teeth or when you eat hard food?
- Have you noticed any spaces developing between your teeth?
- Do your gums ever feel swollen or tender?
- Have you noticed that your gums are receding (pulling back from your teeth) or your teeth appear longer than before?
- Do you have persistent bad breath?
- Have you noticed pus between your teeth and gums?
- Do you ever develop sores in your mouth?
- Has it been a year or more since you last had your teeth professionally cleaned?
Periowave is a revolutionary new treatment that Dr Babin or one of our hygienists may recommend to aid in the fight against gum diseases. When used, this adjunctive treatment achieves better results than scaling and root planing alone. By reducing the bacteria that cause gum diseases, Periowave can help the healing begin.
Periowave is the first treatment system for gum diseases that uses photodynamic disinfection (PDD). PDD is a two-stage process that uses a photosensitizing solution and low-intensity, cold laser light to destroy the harmful bacteria and enzymes that cause gum disease.
Periowave is safe, effective and painless, with no known harmful side effects, and is non-antibiotic.
This exciting technology is available in Victoria at Babin Dentistry.